Did you know that within 100 years, rain forests could be completely wiped out? The annual rate of deforestation currently stands at around 10 million hectares. That's about 24,700,000 football fields. Every Year. Wow.
Some more facts about deforestation and trees include:
- Equal amounts of CO2 are used by both the internet and the aviation industry.
- If deforestation continues at this rate, it will take less than 100 years for all rain forests on earth to be destroyed.
- The global demand for food could double by 2050. By using existing farmland more efficiently, we could feed more people without clearing additional forests and wetlands.
- The balance of oxygen, carbon dioxide and humidity in the air is contributed to by forests.
- 40% of deforestation worldwide is driven by commercial agriculture such as cattle ranching, soy cultivation and palm oil plantations.
- Global greenhouse gas emissions come from deforestation at the rate of about 12-17% because forests release carbon dioxide when they are cleared or burnt – this is around the same as the emissions from all the cars and lorries on earth!
- The livelihoods of more than 1 billion people depend on forests.
- Up to 28,000 species are expected to become extinct by the next quarter of the century, deforestation being a contributing factor.
- The formal forest sector provides 45 million jobs and $580 billion in labour income globally.
- 8.5 trees are saved by going for one year without paper. 3,432 trees are saved by going one year without beef.
- Since the 1960’s, more than half of the world’s tropical forests have been destroyed.
- More than 121 natural remedies come from the rain forest which can be used as medicines.
- Just a few of the effects of deforestation are: wildfire extinction, an increase in global warming and climate imbalance, soil erosion and floods.
At Reverse, we're passionate about raising awareness and helping people to make an impact by reducing their carbon footprint. Not only do we send a link to all our customers for them to plant a tree for every product they buy (and they receive a certificate), we also plant trees ourselves to help offset the impact of the time spent on our website. We want to do the best we can to make a difference in the world and help others to do the same.
Visit our forest to see the impact we're making by clicking here